Techedge and NIMBL are now Avvale Read More
Arturo Calle Breaks New Ground by Migrating Its SAP Workloads to AWS Cloud
While they expertly deliver innovation and quality to their customers, Callaway Golf’s previous planning and reporting tool wasn’t making the cut. To evolve their enterprise, the sports giant decided to replace their outdated planning software with SAP Analytics Cloud for planning.
Together with Avvale, Callaway Golf successfully implemented SAP Analytics Cloud across their global enterprise in just 6 months. Now, Callaway Golf has a single, consolidated planning solution that has enabled streamlined expense and asset plans so they can focus on what they do best– revolutionizing the sporting world with cutting edge equipment.
Arturo Calle knows that the importance of innovation is a means of staying ahead of the curve. Consequently, they decided to migrate their SAP workloads to a flexible cloud infrastructure that allows them to optimize their business operation. To begin this transformation, the company sought Avvales's guidance while migrating to Amazon Web Services (AWS) because of our expertise with migrating several systems into the cloud in a secure environment.
In addition to having an optimized infrastructure, they are also able to implement a Disaster Recovery (DR) plan as a stable backup of their current systems. With this plan, it begins their digital transformation as they have a broad portfolio of cloud services to achieve strategic goals.
Arturo Calle's main objective was to migrate its SAP workloads to a flexible infrastructure that would support its pace of innovation and initiatives in order to reduce costs, minimize the impact on end users, and optimize business processes.
In addition, they needed a partner that would meet its expectations in providing management and maintenance services for their new solution. Avvale was selected as a strategic partner thanks to their experience in similar projects at a regional level. They proposed that Arturo Calle migrate their infrastructure to AWS cloud, which will allow them to improve their technological capabilities in terms of flexibility, security, high availability, monitoring, and computing performance.
Based on Arturo Calle's needs, a strategy was created to migrate their SAP workloads from a private datacenter to the cloud. During this migration, it was important to minimize the impact on users and daily operations to prevent overall business from being affected. To meet this need, the planning and execution of the migration process were exhaustive, ensuring the transition was transparent for users.
The migration of Arturo Calle's SAP workloads consisted of several different applications such as SAP ERP, SAP CAR, SAP SLT, SAP BW, SAP Netweaver PO, Solution Manager, and SAP WEB Dispatcher to AWS cloud only took three months. Additionally the migration process to the cloud unified the operating system and updated basic components of the SAP applications.
During this migration, best practices were implemented that aligned with AWS Good Architecture framework. Some best practices included: deployment of Infrastructure as Code, automating monitoring alerts, data security standards, and a DR plan.
Once the migrated systems were stabilized, technical administration of the components deployed in the cloud and SAP workloads were handled through Avvale's managed service. This service gives Arturo Calle access to our knowledge and experience in managing SAP information systems for cloud models.
Before integrating SAP Analytics Cloud, Callaway Golf's planning landscape centered around SAP's legacy planning solution, Business Planning and Simulation (BPS). While BPS met Callaway Golf's planning needs for many years, the enterprise began to experience limitations with their old solution:
- Disconnected plans across the board: As Callaway Golf expanded and acquired new brands, planning processes greatly differed across the enterprise with some business units using Excel spreadsheets and others using legacy solutions for planning.
- Outdated planning functionalities: The existing legacy planning solution lacked many modern functionalities. Among them, salary calculations and asset depreciation automation needed improvement. As a result, it became difficult to create detailed and accurate forecasts across the globe.
- Significant IT support: The legacy solution required continuous management from IT to maintain runtime. IT had to carve out a full day every week to manually maintain the solution.
- No single source of truth: Various departments and brands used different data sources, which led to data silos across the organization, making it difficult to gain a clear picture of the enterprise's planned expenses.
- Rigid user interface: Legacy forecasting system was difficult to navigate and lacked working functions and calculations across the board, such as planning on depreciation and existing assets, adding vendors or members on the fly, and breaking down their cost center expense planning forecasts.
With Avvale experts on their side, Callaway Golf laid out the following goals for their new planning landscape with SAP Analytics Cloud:
- Crowdsource and consolidate plans across the enterprise to gain a global overview of their planned expenses and expand the input capabilities to each responsible owner.
- Leverage elevated planning functionalities to create faster and more accurate forecast cost center expense and asset reports. The ability to customize calculations enhances and automates the reporting metrics.
- Harness the power of self-service analytics to alleviate IT from the burden of simple maintenance and data entry requests, so they can focus on high-ROI tasks.
- Maximize user-driven admin capabilities to control the management of calculations and forms.
- Create new KPls driven by the business needs.
When SEM-BPS was the center of Callaway Golf's planning landscape, flexibility was a huge factor that was missing. SAP Analytics Cloud contains powerful scenario planning capabilities that help organizations quickly uncover actionable insights to make data-driven decisions. For Callaway Golf, SAP Analytics Cloud's modern planning functionalities provided users with the ability to:
- Add members on the fly
- Plan on existing as well as planned assets and automatically calculate the depreciation of values
- Test "what-if" scenarios for deeper analysis by creating private versions of plans
- Customize the solution based on their current business process
- Perform driver-based calculations
- Empower users to execute end-to-end planning scenarios, without the help of IT
Migrating Arturo Calle's SAP workloads to AWS cloud provided them with many benefits such as: cost savings, flexible and tailored resource usage, and optimized system performance for SAP workloads via a HANA database.
Key results from migrating to the cloud:
- Optimize business processes, which reduced costs
- Disaster Recovery plan as a backup strategy at no additional cost
- Migration of SAP workloads within a short time frame, minimizing the impact on users and operations
- Stabilization of the migrated systems, making the transition associated with the infrastructure change transparent
"Thanks to the business alliance between Arturo Calle, AWS and AVVALE, we achieved the objectives proposed for the migration of our SAP environments, from the architecture design, the established time, the optimization of resources and with a synchronized execution we achieved the implementation of our entire system on a more reliable and scalable platform. Arturo Calle achieved a significant reduction in investment that improved its cash flow and got a remarkable improvement with system administration and service support."
Carlos Bustamante, IT Manager at Arturo Calle