- Connecting People & Products
- Business Ecosystem Collaboration
- Enterprise Operations
- Digital Manufacturing
- Digital Ecosystem
- Performance Management
- Exponential Technology Foundation
- Cloud Adoption
- Data & Analytics
- Technology Transformation
- Technology Governance
Lavazza Gains Operational Efficiency and Reduces Carbon Footprint with Cloud Migration
While they expertly deliver innovation and quality to their customers, Callaway Golf’s previous planning and reporting tool wasn’t making the cut. To evolve their enterprise, the sports giant decided to replace their outdated planning software with SAP Analytics Cloud for planning.
Together with Avvale, Callaway Golf successfully implemented SAP Analytics Cloud across their global enterprise in just 6 months. Now, Callaway Golf has a single, consolidated planning solution that has enabled streamlined expense and asset plans so they can focus on what they do best– revolutionizing the sporting world with cutting edge equipment.
Since 1895, Lavazza Group has delighted coffee lovers throughout the world with their signature roasts. Operating in more than 140 countries, their mission is to “awaken a better morning each day,” expressing respect for people and the environment every step of the way.
Lavazza Group embraced the journey to cloud, as part of their Technology Transformation Program. Their main objective was to migrate all their on-premise data centers and enterprise workloads to a single cloud environment.
The migration presented a high degree of complexity, due to the mixed composition of the on-premise infrastructure. In fact, the company had different solutions in place throughout various locations from fully outsourced external data centers, to production plants and internally managed server farms.
Leveraging its methodology and best practices, Avvale spent three months on the assessment and planning phase, preparing the cloud infrastructure on Azure to host the workloads. The process was set to occur in five different waves, over a period of seven months. The migration relied mainly on technologies such as IAAS, Azure Migrate and Data Migration Assistant to address the needs of Lift and Shift and Replatform, the two main models adopted.
Before integrating SAP Analytics Cloud, Callaway Golf's planning landscape centered around SAP's legacy planning solution, Business Planning and Simulation (BPS). While BPS met Callaway Golf's planning needs for many years, the enterprise began to experience limitations with their old solution:
- Disconnected plans across the board: As Callaway Golf expanded and acquired new brands, planning processes greatly differed across the enterprise with some business units using Excel spreadsheets and others using legacy solutions for planning.
- Outdated planning functionalities: The existing legacy planning solution lacked many modern functionalities. Among them, salary calculations and asset depreciation automation needed improvement. As a result, it became difficult to create detailed and accurate forecasts across the globe.
- Significant IT support: The legacy solution required continuous management from IT to maintain runtime. IT had to carve out a full day every week to manually maintain the solution.
- No single source of truth: Various departments and brands used different data sources, which led to data silos across the organization, making it difficult to gain a clear picture of the enterprise's planned expenses.
- Rigid user interface: Legacy forecasting system was difficult to navigate and lacked working functions and calculations across the board, such as planning on depreciation and existing assets, adding vendors or members on the fly, and breaking down their cost center expense planning forecasts.
With Avvale experts on their side, Callaway Golf laid out the following goals for their new planning landscape with SAP Analytics Cloud:
- Crowdsource and consolidate plans across the enterprise to gain a global overview of their planned expenses and expand the input capabilities to each responsible owner.
- Leverage elevated planning functionalities to create faster and more accurate forecast cost center expense and asset reports. The ability to customize calculations enhances and automates the reporting metrics.
- Harness the power of self-service analytics to alleviate IT from the burden of simple maintenance and data entry requests, so they can focus on high-ROI tasks.
- Maximize user-driven admin capabilities to control the management of calculations and forms.
- Create new KPls driven by the business needs.
When SEM-BPS was the center of Callaway Golf's planning landscape, flexibility was a huge factor that was missing. SAP Analytics Cloud contains powerful scenario planning capabilities that help organizations quickly uncover actionable insights to make data-driven decisions. For Callaway Golf, SAP Analytics Cloud's modern planning functionalities provided users with the ability to:
- Add members on the fly
- Plan on existing as well as planned assets and automatically calculate the depreciation of values
- Test "what-if" scenarios for deeper analysis by creating private versions of plans
- Customize the solution based on their current business process
- Perform driver-based calculations
- Empower users to execute end-to-end planning scenarios, without the help of IT
With the full support of Avvale, Lavazza has adopted Microsoft Azure to leverage the benefits of public cloud computing. This move has enabled Lavazza to consolidate its infrastructure into a single platform, thereby providing scalability and ease of management. Additionally, Lavazza has been able to enhance its reliability and security through geographical disaster recovery. The adoption of Infrastructure-as-Code automation has increased Lavazza's agility and speed, while also resulting in a significant reduction in energy consumption and carbon footprint.